Visa for internship with a "convention de stage"


Please read the "General information" section prior to applying.

The applicant has to apply for the visa and obtain it in his/her country of residence prior to leaving for France.

You may apply with the French Consulate in Washington DC, only if you reside in one of the following states:

Delaware, District of Columbia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, West Virginia.

A processing time may be required.

The applicant has to come with the original documents + one copy for EACH document including the passport. This visa section does not make any copies.

US citizen holders of a regular US passport do not need a visa for a short stay (less than 91 days) for an internship in France. If this case is applicable, you have to travel with your passport, your internship contract ("convention de stage") and a proof of your lodging for the stay.

US citizen, holder of a regular US passport DO need a visa for a long stay as an intern, exceeding 90 days. The long stay should be justified by the length of the internship itself (internship of more than 90 days, usually minimum of 4 to 5 months)

All other nationals need to apply for any length of stay, short or long.



You have to apply with all the required documents in original and one copy. The visa section does not make any copies.


Note that the personal appearance is the rule. You cannot apply by mail.


- Passport valid for a period of 3 months after the last day of stay (+ 1 copy of the identification page).

- proof of your address in Delaware, District of Columbia, Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania, West Virginia:

  • copy of your driver’s license or state ID


  • original and copy of a utility bill no older than 3 months OR lease agreement OR deed of house/appartment (For bills, are accepted ONLY : water, electricity, resident phone, cable or rent slip. Other bills, for example cellphone, or insurance bills will be declined), showing the name and proving the address of the applicant and should match the driver’s licence/state ID. Any other situation is subject to be reviewed by the immigration officer of the visa section and may not make you illegible for a visa application until met.

- 2 long stay application forms if your internship is for 90 days or more (only 1 if you are American) or 2 short stay applications forms if your internship is for less than 90 days, completely and legibly filled out. Please print in black. Indicate your phone numbers and e-mail.

  Translation in English of the long stay visa application form.

- 2 photographs (only 1 if you are a US citizen) (more information about the photograph). All photos must be recent, identical, passport size - 1,4" x 1,7" (3,5cm x 4,5cm) and showing face front the forehead hairline and ears on a white background, the face must take up 70-80% of the photograph - neutral face, no smiling and the mouth closed.

- For non US citizens : a proof of resident status in the US (green card, valid US visa along with a copy of valid I-20 or valid I-AP66, visas).

- The « convention de stage » (original + one copy) signed by your employer in France, your school or university or by the cultural office of the French embassy, and you.
If the lenght of the internship is more than 90 days, the convention de stage has to be stamped by the DIRECCTE.

- Financial guarantee such as a notarized statement certifying that the applicant will be provided with a monthly allowance of $ 820 for the duration of his/her stay in France, or a proof of personal income (your three last bank statements).

- proof of accommodation in France : it can be either a hotel reservation for the first days in France or a statement from the company mentioning that the student will have a temporary accommodation. In both cases, the precise address should be clearly stated.

- Processing fees, depending on the length of the stay: payment by credit card (Visa, Mastercard) only.

- Passeport return :
Please prepare a prepaid self-addressed registered express mail envelope (USPS only, no FedEx or UPS), to get your passport back with the visa stamped in, if granted.

Last modified on 25/04/2017

top of the page